PBS Kids Show Review: The Most Watchable and Adorable.

The person that started making kid shows entertaining to adults is my hero and a brilliant business person.  Because I'm a mediocrey mom I've logged quite a bit of hours watching pbs kids, and lest you think me a crappy mom, I do have my standards, i.e. my little ponies/littlest pet shop/arthur is banned. Because I don't want bratty kids.  Anyway, because of all the time in observation and analysis, I thought I would save some of you busy moms that like clean or something a short list of shows that should be avoided and what should be recorded if you actually have one of those fancy dvr devices, which I don't, in that case you can tell time and plan your day around daniel tiger's neighborhood and martha speaks, like I do.


Okay so here are my top picks:
Category: Most watchable and adorable.


1. Sesame Street- Obviously a classic as its been around so long, but seriously its like saturday night live, but clean and actually funny.  It hammers home a theme of a number and letter but all in an entertaining, culturally exposing, musical way.  Elmo is just freaking adorable and I want him to be in my life somehow. Grover 2.0 cracks me up, but I'm not sure I would want him to help me with my problems, but A for effort and attitude, Grover.  Big bird is kind of the straight man, but he's pretty cute and nice.  I love Chris and want to be friends with him, even if he's a little bit of an emotional rollercoaster,  (I mean Telly, and cookie monster are pretty darn frustrating.) who wouldn't lose their cool?  Mr. Noodle, who is no longer with us, (they changed Elmo's World into Elmo the Musical, which I'm not a fan of btw)  was so endearing in the goofiest, cheesiest way..  And lets talk about The new Elmo format.  I love him so I will watch him no matter what, but I have to say the new musical format is more cold and impersonal and not quite as adorable as Elmo's world, where you knew you  got to see what that cute imaginative Dorothy was thinking and see the antics of that silly Mr. Noodle,  T.V.,  Drawer, and a little baby.sigh... Those were the good days.



2.   Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood- This show is adorable and brilliant.  Daniel Tiger is a kind of a doll and I love how they make him have emotions without making him a brat.   My  favorite thing about this show though is how they always have a themed lesson that is taught by a catchy little song.  I love when clever people think of a concise definitive way to teach a concept.  Like "you gotta try new food, cause it might taste good" or "when you gotta go potty, you stop and go right away, flush and wash and be on your way" or "you can take a turn and then I'll get it back".  Anyway, such a brilliant simple way to drive things home.  Of course I love that it's connected to Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and how all the characters are old favorites, like Mr McFeely, Trolley,etc...  My one and only teeny tiny nitpicky complaint is the Miss Elena, a little girl about 4 years old, calls her friends and peers, "toots" as in "hiya toots".  It just feels oh like she's a 60 year old waitress in a small town diner.  But I let it slide because I love this show that much.


3. Wild Kratts
I remember watching Kratt's Creatures when I was young and maybe having a little crush on Chris Kratt, he hasn't aged well, in case you're wondering.  But what they've gained in weight and lost in looks, they've made up for with creativity and entertainment.  The format of how they turn into the creatures is pretty smart because it teaches you all the amazing features and characteristics of the animal they're focused on.  They are super enthusiastic and sweet and I love watching this show.  Its imaginative and fun but teaches really cool things about animals.  Their love for nature and animals is contagious and maybe sometimes I'm a little jealous of Eviva who gets to work with them and engage in a good natured  banter every now and then.  Anyway you learn cool things like why worms come out in the rain and how important scavengers are like vultures and tasmanian devils.  Equally educational and entertaining.  


4.  Curious George
Maybe I adore this show because I had the privilege of raising Curious George,(abe), but even without those fond reminders of a crazy, chaotic and fun time I love that sweet little George.  I love that is educational and teaches by using math concepts, figuring out how things work (usually by breaking them)  and encouraging really hands on learning (again by breaking something).  All the characters serve a purpose and make for a colorful, quirky, delightful crew.   I give it 2 thumbs up!

Comments

  1. Martin was my Kratt-crush, but I was watching as a mom (horrifying).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually DON'T like curious George! Shows that teach my children to ask for things with random sounds and gestures instead of words drive me crazy! Haha! But I LOVE Daniel tigers neighborhood. A lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love daniel tiger and wild kratts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Road to Emmaus

Oh Yeah I'm a Grownup

When You Can't Hear the Music